Jun 11, 2011

Spicy Garlic Green Beans

If you know me, then you know I'd be happy to make almost anything hot and spicy. I have to pull back the reigns a little these days so my husband doesn't leave me for some bland food-loving chick. 

OK, not really, but there would be a lot of protesting. I've learned my lesson. 

I suppose the idea for these green beans came from P.F. Changs. I believe it's there that they have an addictive little side dish like this. I'm not sure exactly what all they put in theirs, but I thought mine turned out pretty tasty. 

Ingredients:
  • fresh green beans, ends trimmed
  • 5-6 garlic cloves, chopped (more if serving a lot of beans)
  • a couple tbsp soy sauce
  • sriracha or some other asian chili sauce (amount depends on how spicy you like things)
 First, put the beans in a sauce pan and cover with water. Salt the water and bring to a boil and let cook for about 10 to 15 minutes. You want them to still be a little crisp, so check them at 10 minutes.

Drain the beans and heat some olive oil in the pan. Add the beans and garlic together to the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes. Garlic is essential - don't skimp!

Next add the soy sauce and a little sriracha. Mix it in and taste. If you want more spice, go for it. If you don't want any spice (what's wrong with you?) then you can leave the sriracha out and it will still taste good. That's what I did for Brian. He still liked it. 

Spicy, salty, garlic-y and still good for you. What more could you want? 

No comments:

Post a Comment